Friday, October 21, 2011

Currently

This week I have read 155 pages from A Long Way Gone.

My three favorite sentences are:

"1984 by George Orwell uses straightforward and exact diction, colloquial formality, and dull sound to create a harsh feeling for the reader, much like how Winston feels the chill of the bright cold day and the enormous eyes of the face watching him." brought to you by: http://freefifteen.blogspot.com/

-  Simply put, the use of the word "colloquial" was what first brought my attention to this peice.  It is this one word that first took me in because its one of my favorite words.  Then, the description of the "chill of the bright cold day" is pleasing to my senses, if that makes sense.  I just think it sounds nice so I liked it even more.

"To Kill A Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, uses the coarsely sophisticated literal language which accurately conveys the dialect of the narrator." brought to you by: http://bookwormsfiresidereading.blogspot.com/

-I thought this one was better than the rest since it uses plenty of nice sounding adjectives.  It uses a few too many while describing language, but it's description is paradoxical which is amiable to me.  After reading quite a few other blogs, this one won partly by default to be honest.

"In Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling's words are very connotative, elevated, and magically musical." Stolen from: http://bradey.blogspot.com/

-I thought this line was pretty clever and so I liked it.  To begin, I've always liked the sound of alliteration, I'm not completely sure why but I just think that it enhances the writing.  Also, the fact that they describe it as "magically musical" is pretty clever because Harry Potter is a movie about magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment