Friday, November 11, 2011

1948

     I've never read this book before now, but alot of people I know have read it for class work or something.  anyways, I started to read the book and it's actually really good.  Its about the world after a long time of wars and a new dictatorship.  There are no laws, but there are still police to arrest you if you speak out against the government. Also, there are thought police who will arrest you for being too suspicious or seeming like the type of person to act against the government.  If you are too smart or innovative, you're already dead.  Right now the man, Winston, has joined the Brotherhood, a secret organization against the government that works in the shadows and is merely a rumor to most.  I won't tell you what happens to him but it came as a surprise to me, especially since it was really sudden.  This book wasn't really what I had expected it to be and the begginning is pretty slow, but it gets better near the end.  There was one part where Winston was simply reading the brotherhood's book about why they do this and the pages mirrored that of the book he was reading.  I don't know why but I thought that this was somewhat lazy since it was pages and pages of a book within a book.  I would have just summed it up and put that instead of the entire written page.  Other then that its an interesting book and some of the ideas within the book, like how people will believe whatever they are told, seems crazy to me and it made me want to keep reading.I'd suggest this book for personal reading and I think you'll enjoy it.  I've already read more than half the book in about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment